The day after the Chinese New Year party, Brad and I went on a many hour walk around the city. We found ourselves over at the Boston Commons, hungry and a little tired, so we headed over to P.F. Changs for lunch. As we listened to traditional Chinese music (AKA - late 90s US techno) and ate traditional Chinese dessert (strawberry cheesecake for Brad, s'mores sundae for Laura), we enjoyed the break from our walk. Immediately following our 4 course lunch (whew), we walked over to the harbor. The day was beautiful - mid 60 degree weather, happy faces everywhere, dogs and kids playing together, couples meandering around town lazily - and time moved very slowly. By the time we got home last night, about 7 hours after we left for our walk, Brad barely had time to fit in a run before the cold air swept in, carrying with it a combination of rain and snow. Today, on my way to work at the high school, I saw Jamaica Pond frozen over, felt the car reluctantly drag itself through deep puddles, and watched as commuters scurried back to their fast paced work week with their waterproof wellies and North Face coats.
On the bright side, the reappearance of winter weather has snapped me back to reality. This weekend gave me a taste of spring/summer, when work slows down and fun picks up. I can't afford that mindset right now - deep in the heart of my research. Today, I interviewed my first subject...very exciting! This week, during my "Spring Break" (in quotes because such a break really doesn't exist in grad school), I'll be dissertating and job hunting (yes, I verb-ified the dissertation process).
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment