Monday, August 20, 2007

AVP, BBQ, & MSU




The weekend started with a Friday night Sushi run to one of our local, favorite dining spots where I coaxed Brad into playing the 'identify the fish' game (I close my eyes, he gives me a roll, and I guess what kind of fish I'm eating). I received a perfect score - hopefully a preview into this semester's academic marks. Our fun was hampered a bit when a party of 8, including 5 loud and hungry children, noisily sat next to us. I supposed kids have to eat too.

Saturday began with a 14 mile run for me, 19 mile run for Brad, over the trails and hills of Boston. I ran with 3 training partners, 2 of whom are training for fall marathons and 1 who starts singing out of boredom about 20 minutes into each run. I reunited with the singing star later that morning as the 4 of us (Brad, Sloan:-), Drew, and I) spent the day watching an AVP professional volleyball tournament (www.avp.com). Teams of two played each other in best-of-three games, ending in the final at 4:30 where we watched Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers trounce Casey Jennings and Matt Fuerbringer (AKA - The Golden God). Drew tried his hand at winning a pair of tickets to Las Vegas in an open game but came just a little shy of his goal as his moderately drunk partner watched the volleyball hit the soft sand with an 'oops'. The first picture is of Brad contemplating the finer points of the AVP while the second picture captures the crowd favorite Jennings/Fuerbringer duo.



Sunday, my little brother, Luke, left for his first year at Michigan State University (Brad's alma mater). I thought my mom would have a really hard time with him leaving but she seemed in high spirits when I talked to her after she left his dorm yesterday. He is rooming with his best friend of 11 years so I'm not too worried about him! We ended the weekend with a vegetarian bbq on our friends, Bruce and Christy's, Cambridge private patio where we ate animal friendly grilled goods (see picture) and drank Australian red wine until the sun went down. Yet another memorable weekend in Boston.

No comments: